TSIN01 Information Networks
LiteratureThe recommended course book is Data Networks by Dimitri Bertsekas and Robert G. Gallager, second edition, 1992, ISBN 9780132009164 (paperback).
The book can be obtained by the university bookstore Bokakademin at a reasonable price.
A scanned copy of the book can be downloaded from the author's webpage.
The course contents are covered in the following chapters:
- Ch. 1: Introduction and Layered Network Architecture
- Ch. 3.2: Queueing Models - Little's Theorem
- Ch. 3.3: The M/M/1 Queueing System
- Ch. 4.2: Slotted Multiaccess and the Aloha System
- Ch. 4.3: Splitting Algorithms
- Ch. 4.4: Carrier Sensing
- Ch. 4.5: Multiaccess Reservations
- Ch. 4.6: Packet Radio Networks
- Ch. 5.1: Routing Introduction
- Ch. 5.2: Network Algorithms and Shortest Path Routing
- A book that covers a big part of the course is Multiple Access Protocols - Performance and Analysis by R. Rom and M. Sidi.
- A brief repetition of the probability theory concepts used throughout the course.
- Lecture 1 Introductions; Course structure, literature, focus, contents; Historical overview; Messages, packets, sessions; Sections 1.1 and 1.2
- Lecture 2 Circuit & packet switching; Layered network architecture, OSI model; Sections 1.2 and 1.3
- Lecture 3 Multiaccess communication, multiaccess media, idealized slotted multiaccess model; Sections 4.1 and 4.2
- Lecture 4 Slotted ALOHA: definition and analysis; Section 4.2
- Lecture 5 Little's theorem; Slotted ALOHA: instability; Section 3.2 and Section 4.2
- Lecture 6 Pseudo-Bayesian stabilization; Approximate delay analysis; Stabilized slotted ALOHA vs TDM; Section 4.2
- Lecture 7 Binary exponential backoff; Unslotted ALOHA; Splitting algorithms: Tree algorithm; Sections 4.2 and 4.3
- Lecture 8 Splitting algorithms: Tree and FCFS; Section 4.3
- Lecture 9 Carrier Sensing: CSMA slotted ALOHA; Pseudo-Bayesian stabilization; CSMA unslotted ALOHA; FCFS with CSMA; Section 4.4
- Lecture 10 Multiaccess reservations: CSMA/CD slotted and unslotted; Packet radio networks: TDM, FDM, and slotted ALOHA; Sections 4.5 and 4.6
- Lecture 11 Routing; Broadcasting; Minimum-weight spanning tree routing: Prim-Dijkstra and Kruskal algoritithms; Shorthest-path routing: Bellman-Ford algorithm, Dijkstra and Floyd-Warshall algorithms; Sections 5.1 and 5.2
- Lecture 12 IEEE 802.11; CSMA/CA; WLAN carrier sensing; Maximum throughput;
- Problems 1 Slotted ALOHA Solutions 1
- Problems 2 Slotted ALOHA, Little's Theorem, Stabilized ALOHA, Binary Exponential Backoff Solutions 2
- Problems 3 Splitting Algorithms Solutions 3
- Problems 4 Carrier Sensing, Packet Radio Networks Solutions 4
- Problems 5 Routing Solutions 5
Last updated: 2017 08 24 22:03